Plants’ genetic resources of the world are distributed unevenly, as well as possibilities for their use. Most crops, CWR and other useful species of wild plants are not limited by national borders. Their distribution reflects the geography of ecosystems and global dispersal by humans or nature. Consequently, in case of the need in PGRFA the countries have to access the material and related information outside the country.
Genetic resources of plants are reproductively or vegetative propagating material of the following plant categories:
- breeding varieties used at present or newly created;
- breeding varieties that have come out of use;
- special genetic material (elite and breeding lines and mutants).
Gaps and needs in the field of PGRFA
- many valuable collections storage and management are suboptimal;
- many countries still lack the resources needed to maintain adequate levels of viability;
- many crops and important collections remain inadequately safety duplicated;
- for many crops, especially many neglected and underutilized species, and CWR, comprehensive collections still do not exist and considerable gaps remain to be filled;
- greater standardization of data and information management systems is needed;
- greater efforts are needed to promote the use of genetic resources maintained in collections;
- greater efforts are needed to raise awareness among policy-makers and the general public about the importance of PGRFA and the need to safeguard it.
Strategic Priorities of PGRFA in OIC Countries
- To develop and approve the PGRFA Development Strategy in OIC countries in order to determine:
- - the needs and priorities of countries in the field of biodiversity conservation and sustainable use;
- - geopolitical partners interested in cooperation at the regional level.
- To create a unified international genebank for OIC countries to store ex situ collections of priority crops for OIC countries. To this goal:
- - each national genebank at its discretion proposes to transfer a certain number of accessions to double storage;
Genbank will ensure:
- physical security of stored accessions;
- unlimited access of owners to their accessions;
- owner’s sovereignty over accessions;
- accessions are provided to users only if the owner of the collection is authorized;
- the owner has the right to request his samples or a part of them at any time.